Top 2021 Predictions – Whole Foods Market, the Specialty Food Association and ADM
COVID-19 has increased our awareness of a healthy diet and lifestyle and the Food & Beverage Trends for 2021 will focus on the changes from this past year. Working from home and staying safe have prompted us to cook at home. Instead of eating out there is more time for creative and healthy eating. Plant-based and vegan foods will continue to see explosive growth as a healthy alternative and as more people become aware of their benefits. Brand missions and transparency are more important than ever for food and beverages.
- Well Being and a focus on healthy eating has helped the expansion of plant-based foods being served and will expand even more with the pandemic and after.
- Breakfast kicks it up a notch with more people working from home.
- Coffee in granola, yogurt, chocolate and smoothies to wake up those flavors are even more popular.
- ‘Baby Food Grown Up’ in portable on the go containers with enhanced spices and good for you ingredients.
- Chickpeas will take over from the cauliflower craze and are high in fiber and protein.
- Oils expand from Olive Oil to Walnut, Pumpkin and Sunflower seed oils to add flavor and enhance high temp cooking.
- Hard Kombucha is gluten-free, super bubbly and can be filled with live probiotic cultures and continue the growth after hard seltzers.
- Fruit and Veggie Jerky into the produce aisle using mushrooms, jackfruit, spiced up mango and other fruits.
- Upcycled Products are made from ingredients that would have otherwise been food waste.
- ‘Basics on Fire’ with so much more cooking at home brings new takes on pasta, rice, sauces and vegan foods.
2021 Food & Beverage Trends in trendspotter predictions:
- As a result of COVID-19 eating out at home has become more popular than ever.
- Traveling through global meals with more adventurous cooking.
- Healthy ingredients for well-being
- Plant-based vegan foods continue their explosive growth.
- Less sugar is more important than ever with natural substitutes easier to find.
A global leader in nutrition and partner to many CPG brands releases the top 5 predictions:
- Pro-active health consuming
- Sustainability in manufacturing
- The gut biome
- Brand transparency